According to The Green Schools Initiative, the environmental impact of the 130,000 public, private and charter K-12 schools in the United States is enormous, in financial, ecological and health terms. The impact includes tons of greenhouse gas emissions, garbage and toxic waste and exposure to unhealthy conditions that can affect students’ ability to learn. Initially formed by concerned parents, this organization’s web site indicates that a growing body of evidence shows that “green” schools that integrate sustainable facilities, healthy operations, and environmental curricula result in environmental and financial savings, improved health for students and staff, and better academic achievement.
For high schools struggling to fill holes in their budgets, investing in energy efficiency may be the least of their concerns. But it should be near the top of their priorities, says Rachel Gutter, director of the Center for Green Schools, part of the U.S. Green Building Council, a nonprofit group. “This is something you can’t afford not to do,” Gutter says. “A green school … is actually one of the only opportunities, in a moment when budgets are already stretched so thin, to be able to unearth funds that are available for the taking (source).”
In the area of facility management, schools have very specific requirements for their cooling and heating systems. Schools are increasingly set up in campus-like settings, with multiple buildings and cooling and heating equipment of various sizes and with specific requirements. They have large “populations” of students, faculty and staff at their facilities every day that can be negatively affected by hazardous, liquid water treatment chemicals.
Sustainable Benefits School District Customers Appreciate
Blended solid concentrate water treatment products from APTech Group are the right choice for elementary and secondary educational facilities.Our blended solid concentrate products are developed and produced using the EPA’s Twelve Principles of Green Chemistry, emphasizing safety, efficiency and conservation of resources. They provide environmental and safety advantages important to educational facilities:
Increased Safety Benefits
- Reduces the risk of discharging hazardous chemicals into the environment during shipment, storage or application
- Improving operator safety by reducing exposure to hazardous chemicals
- No more dangerous and offensive odors or fumes
- Smaller profile blended solid concentrate water treatment products are safe and simple to apply, meaning safer, cleaner mechanical rooms
Carbon Footprint savings from APTech Group blended solid concentrate products are many and include:
- Reduced diesel fuel use: A 55 gallon drum, weighing 500 pounds, will consume 2.5 more gallons of diesel fuel per typical shipment than a 44 pound carton of blended solid concentrate product with the same amount of active ingredients
- Plastic savings from reduced product container size
- Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) savings from reduced power to produce NaOH
- Blended solid concentrate products are completely used and all packaging is fully recyclable
Additional, more hidden factors have environmental benefits as well:
- Water savings associated with rinsing drums
- Water savings associated with increased cycles of concentration
- Space savings in mechanical room
- Eye wash station installation and maintenance
Satisfied Elementary and Secondary Schools Customers
During the past decade, hundreds of school district facilities have switched to APTech Group’s blended solid concentrate water treatment products to treat and maintain their comfort heating and cooling equipment because of their safety and sustainability benefits.
APTech Group can recommend a local water treatment partner who is well versed in this effective, safe and sustainable blended solid concentrate technology and application. Just click on the Find a Distributor link to get started.