Colleges and universities are taking a leadership role when it comes to “green” building construction, retrofitting existing structures and overall improvement in sustainability. Like other organizations, higher education institutions are motivated to save financial resources and energy. However, with an estimated 17 million students enrolled at over 4,000 Universities and Colleges in the United States (source), several additional factors set the university segment apart:
- Enhanced reputation – As organizations like AASHE and Center for Green Schools become more well-known and the competition for the best students and faculty intensifies, universities are working to become more attractive by enhancing their reputation. Sustainable initiatives and green buildings have become important factors for attracting potential students.
- High Visibility – Universities appreciate positive public relations. Many university presidents have signed off on the ACUPCC pledge, which makes their success in their journey to being carbon neutral very visible.
- Health and well-being of their student and faculty population – Like their Primary and Secondary education counterparts, providing the safest possible campus is always a high priority.
- Budget Constraints – Both state and federal governments are providing incentives to improve energy efficiency, save water and build green (i.e. – EPA Funding Opportunities). Colleges and universities are always looking for ways to help their dwindling budgets and have the manpower (students) to investigate these incentives.
Blended solid concentrate water treatment products from APTech Group provide many benefits to address a university’s drive to increased sustainability and a lower carbon footprint:
- Reduced diesel fuel use: A 55 gallon drum, weighing 500 pounds, will consume 2.5 more gallons of diesel fuel per typical shipment than a 44 pound carton of blended solid concentrate product with the same amount of active ingredients
- Plastic savings from reduced product container size
- Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) savings from reduced power to produce NaOH
- Blended solid concentrate products are completely product used and all packaging is fully recyclable
Additional, more hidden factors have environmental benefits as well:
- Water savings associated with rinsing drums
- Water savings associated with increased cycles of concentration
- Space savings in mechanical room
- Eye wash station installation and maintenance
- Health issues from chemical exposure and drum handling injuries
APTech Group can recommend a local water treatment partner who is well versed in this effective, safe and sustainable blended solid concentrate technology and application. Just click on the Find a Distributor link above to get started.